Many people have a goal (or at least like the idea) of eating based on what food is in season. The benefits of selecting produce that is in season are:
- higher vitamin content of foods
- fresher foods
- more flavorful foods
- forced variety (over the long term) in the produce you eat
- finding multiple ways to prepare the same food
- price is often better when in season
Because of our large backyard garden, I buy very little produce in the summer since we grow so much ourselves. This has forced us to eat based on season and get creative with working the same ingredient into a variety of recipes. Right now lettuce, blueberries, raspberries, zucchini, stringbeans, purslane, and three types of kale are all being harvested at my house.
Since kale is what I have the most of (and you may too) here are a few ways we use our kale:
- Kale & fruit green smoothies
- Kale chips
- Mashed potatoes with kale
- Kale slaw
- Kale soup – mainly for cooler months
What’s in season where you live? What creative ways have you found to prepare these foods?