Celebrate this July 4th in style with these healthy and delicious recipe favorites – great for parties, barbecues & grilling events!
We know eating foods that support us fosters a happy, healthy body, mind and spirit. This holiday weekend, practice mindful eating – aka intuitive eating – while enjoying these timely dishes.
Celebrate in style with this refreshing and festive Green Mountain Berry Fizz, perfect as a cocktail or mocktail.
Green Mountain Berry Fizz
– 1 tablespoon fresh ginger peeled and sliced
– 6 ripe raspberries
– ½ fresh lime
– Club soda or seltzer water (infused with your preferred flavor)
– 10 fresh blueberries
– 1 ounce ginger or berry infused vodka (optional)
- Muddle the ginger, raspberries and lime juice.
- Add ice and club soda (and optional vodka) and stir in blueberries.
A colorful and easy dish to dress up your 4th of July spread, this pasta salad is definitely a crowd pleaser. Pair with Lemon Herb Marinated Chicken and simple green salad for a perfectly balanced meal. Both filling and delicious, you’ll keep your guests from getting hangry with this summer dish.
Farmer’s Orzo Pasta Salad
– 1 16 ounce box of orzo pasta
– 10 ounces goat cheese
– 2 cups snap peas, cut on the bias
– 1 cup cherry tomatoes
– ½ small red onion, diced
– 2 tablespoons fresh chopped tarragon (or 1 tablespoon dried)
(Combine all ingredients in small bowl and whisk)
– ¼ cup balsamic
– ⅛ cup honey
– 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
– 1 tablespoon minced garlic
– ½ cup olive oil
- Cook orzo as directed on package, strain and allow to cool.
- Place pasta ingredients except tarragon in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine all ingredients for vinaigrette and whisk.
- Add to pasta and mix.
- Sprinkle with tarragon.
Citrus infused ricotta pairs perfectly with the juicy flavors of seasonal berries in this simple, summery dessert. Rich with nutrition, this dish could also double as a delicious breakfast, paired with a whole grain muffin or slice of toast.
Red, White & Blue Ricotta Parfait
– 1 (16 oz) container part-skim ricotta cheese
– 1 small lemon, zested and juiced
– 2 tbsp sugar, divided
– 2 tsp vanilla extract, divided
– 1 quart fresh strawberries, quartered
– 1/2 pint fresh blueberries
– Sliced almonds, for garnish
- In mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, lemon zest, 1 tbsp sugar, and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Mix to combine. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- In another medium bowl, combine strawberries, blueberries, lemon juice, 1 tbsp sugar, and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Mix to combine. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- To serve, divide ricotta mixture into 4 small dishes. Top with fruit mixture. Sprinkle sliced almonds to garnish each dish.
This dish is great for a simple breakfast or nutrient-rich dessert. You could even roll the ricotta mixture up in a crepe, top with fruit and nuts, and serve for an impressive, yet easy, brunch dish.
You could absolutely take creative liberty with this recipe and adapt according to your own taste preferences and what you have on hand for ingredients.
– Try substituting in a different citrus fruit, such as lime or orange, for the zest and juice.
– Experiment with other sweeteners such as agave nectar, maple syrup, or honey.
– Use almond extract for a nuttier flavor or try using your favorite liqueur.
– Many fruit combinations would be delicious in this recipe. Go for what’s on sale, what fruit looks the best in the store, or what you have on hand if you prefer.
For more free resources click here!
Which dish is your favorite? Try them out at your Fourth of July party and let us know.