Planning a Cinco de Mayo bash? You’d do well to serve these delicious fish tacos with an avocado-grapefruit salsa. The recipe is courtesy of the California Avocado Commission. For more Mexican dishes involving avocado, check out their Cinco-related recipes.
Fish Tacos with Avocado, Grapefruit and Toasted Ancho Salsa.
Serves 4 people
1 Pacific halibut fillet
Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas, warmed
4 lettuce leaves
Avocado, Grapefruit and Toasted Ancho Salsa
2 medium Ancho chiles, wiped clean, stemmed and seeded
1 pink grapefruit, chilled
1 large, ripe Fresh California Avocado, halved, seeded and peeled
½ bunch chives, chopped
½ Cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1 ½ Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. For Salsa: Toast Ancho chiles directly over a medium gas flame or in a cast-iron skillet until soft and brown. Turn frequently to avoid scorching. Slice toasted chiles into 1-inch strips, then into a fine julienne.
2. Slice ends off grapefruit and stand the fruit upright on your work surface. Cut away peel and membrane, exposing fruit. Working over a bowl to catch the juices, separate the grapefruit sections by slicing with a knife between membranes. Remove and discard seeds.
3. Cut grapefruit segments and avocados into ½-inch dice. Toss with toasted Ancho chiles and chives in a medium mixing bowl. Gently stir in reserved grapefruit juice, orange juice, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Let sit 30 minutes before serving.
4. Fish Tacos: On the stovetop, heat a grill pan over medium-high heat or prepare a medium-hot grill. Drizzle halibut with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and grill until barely done, 2 to 5 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Remove fish from grill, cool slightly, and pull apart into large flakes.
5. Place warm tortillas on a work surface. Line each with a piece of lettuce and chunks of fish.
6. Top each with a generous spoonful of salsa. Serve immediately.