In one of our regular nutrition classes last week at our pioneering program that some people call a weight loss camp for women (we call it much more than that), we were reviewing two foods that I’d love to see people eat more frequently, “beans and greens.” We also served a very popular chickpea recipe for lunch, created by our Head Chef David Smith. This dish is an excellent way to include both beans and greens in a delicious lunch. Everyone has been wondering how to recreate it at home, so here it is folks….
- 1/4 cup diced carrot
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 cup spinach leaf, whole, baby
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped scallion
- 1/4 cup grape tomatoes
1. Saute carrots, celery, & onions in 1 teaspoon of olive oil until soft, about 8 minutes.
2. Add chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, and remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil and saute for 2 minutes.
3. Add spinach and cilantro, stirring repeatedly, cooking until slightly wilted, about 1 minute.
4. Add grape tomatoes, remove from heat, and serve immediately, garnished with yogurt & scallions.