Do you really need 5 steps to enjoy ice cream?
I know I do… I need them to ensure both enjoyment and satisfaction along with NO GUILT OR SHAME!
Imagine a long day at work, your boss is on your case, your computer is possessed, that problem continues to rear its ugly head, and you get stuck in traffic on the way home, while taking the short cut!
All you want to do is go home, sit in front of the TV with your carton of ice cream and zone out… that’s all you can think about as you sit, frustrated in your car 1 mile from home. You are feeling frustrated and obsessed with the thoughts of ice cream.
Fast forward, 30 minutes, WHAM, you’re sitting on the couch, staring at an empty carton filled with shame, guilt, anger and disbelief.
You can’t even remember eating it. The feeling in your stomach is all too familiar.
Enter: Your inner mean girl
(I call her my mini-me)
She begins her assault on you…
- “I can’t believe you did this again!”
- “You’re so stupid”
- “You have NO willpower”
- “You can’t do anything right”
- “You’re such a failure”
Consider, instead, the 5 magical Green Mountain Steps… the steps that focus on finding our “feel good”, and not on our dieting mind.
Let’s rewind and look at another scenario:
Picture this: As soon as you get to work, your boss is on your case, your computer is possessed, that problem continues to rear its ugly head, and you got stuck in traffic on the way home, while taking the short cut.
You can feel your stress level rising as the day progresses. Thoughts of ice cream bombard your head. Your chest and shoulders are tight, your head is pounding and your stomach is in knots as you walk though your front door and make a b-line to your refrigerator.
You open the freezer and STOP. You PAUSE, the ice cream is there, and you know it will be there in 5 minutes too.
5 Steps to Take Before Enjoying the Ice Cream (So You Can Enjoy It More)
- You close your eyes and take a slow deep breath in and let it out. You do it again and count to 5 as you inhale, pause and exhale slowly and count to 5 again.
- You keep your eyes closed and picture yourself on a beach, or swinging on a swing, or taking in the view at the top of a mountain, or sitting on a rock by a babbling brook. Your body begins to relax as you visualize this scene. You notice calm and peace flow over your body.
- Your eyes open and ask yourself “What do I need?” knowing that the ice cream is STILL THERE sitting in your freezer.
- Hmmmm, maybe one of these options might help
- Eat a nice dinner?
- Take a hot shower?
- Paint your nails?
- Call a friend?
- Take a walk?
- Journal your thoughts?
- Listen to your favorite pod cast?
- Dance around the room to your favorite song?
PICK ONE and proceed
- Finally, if you feel like it, you find the prettiest bowl you can, and scoop yourself out some ice cream, you then sit down, light a candle, and enjoy. Savoring every bite, slowly, moment to moment (mindfully).
A smile crosses your face as you realize you are completely satisfied. There is no shame or guilt in your heart. ‘I can,’ you think, follow The Green Mountain Way, because it works.