Green Smoothie Obsession

By:

For those of you who know me, you may have heard me debating about getting a high-power blender for green smoothies.  Last month I bit the bullet and bought a Vitamix and as much as it pains me to buy a blender that costs almost as much as my first car, so far I’m in love.

Loving My Vitamix

I’ve been able to drink tons of green leafy vegetables and so far almost every concoction I’ve made has been fantastic. I like being able to use my Green Mountain Plate Model by making my smoothie my major source of vegetables for the meal.

Why Make Green Smoothies?

Green leafy vegetables are loaded with vitamins, minerals, fiber, & phytochemicals.  In particular, for those who are experimenting with “clean eating” to detox, the nutrients in greens are essential for getting ride of toxins.  Below are a few greens & fruit combo’s I’ve tried and love:

• beet greens, pineapple, apple, and a whole peeled lime (or a shot of lime juice)
  • kale, grapes, peaches, ginger and a  whole peeled lemon (or lemon juice)
  • chard, a peeled orange, frozen mango, and a lemon (or juice)

I’ll keep blending away to find more combinations that help me get a variety of leafy greens.  I am amazed at how much you can pack into 1 smoothie.  With this new blender that creates such a consistent and smooth texture my husband no longer cringes when he hears the blender followed by me coming at him with a green beverage in hand.  So while I don’t work for Vitamix, I’d recommend one of these high-powered blenders to anyone looking to eat more veggies; it makes it super easy to do so!

Any other green smoothie fans out there?  What combinations have you tried and loved?

8 responses to “Green Smoothie Obsession”

1. Julie Trevor says:

I’ve never been able to drink a green smoothie…
    Being a nurse with much experience on the Medical-Surgical units I have a difficult time distinguishing between what I would be drinking in that smoothie since it so closely resembles the gastric contents we suck out of people’s stomachs…
    Just can’t do it 🙂

2. Robyn says:

Wow Julie, that’s gross! 🙂

3. Cindy B. says:

I use my Vitamix daily. My new favorite green smoothie is made with pumpkin puree in honor of the season. I add lots of greens, almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, a few dates and pumpkin puree (which I freeze in ice cube trays to get the right consistency)

4. Carie says:

We have a blendtec, which is fabulous but not as highly touted as the Vitamix. Love green smoothies but I definitely need to expand with other ingredients aside from spinach!

5. rick says:

reading what julie said i am so not tempted to try the smoothie. maybe a pill quickly swallowed with eyes closed

6. Robyn says:

Cindy, I was considering pumpkin yesterday since I have tons of it frozen, but I was not brave enough. I’ll have to try your combination!

7. Elisabeth says:

Mmm, the combination of chard, a peeled orange with frozen mango sounds really good.

I love the green smoothies from Costco. Do you think they are as good for you since they seem to be mainly composed of fruit?

8. Tiffany Youngren says:

Congrats on your Vitamix! (Do you sense the jealousy in my voice – haha). We love to juice. When we don’t take the time to make fresh juice, we’ve got our own concoction of superjuices we use. Either way – does a body good!