Halloween has come and gone, but kids will have plenty of time to whittle away at their hoards of candy. (The same may go for the adults who didn’t have as many trick-or-treaters on their doorstep as they anticipated!) For a little balance, here’s a quick and healthy recipe from Smart-Mouth.org that will also delight you and your little goblins. Depending on their ages, kids will also have fun making these muffin pizzas, which take only minutes to cook.
small, sharp knife
2 English muffins (whole-wheat, if possible)
1 small onion
4 fresh mushrooms
2 tablespoons canned tomato paste, no salt added
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Black pepper (optional)
4 thin slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Slice or separate the muffins into halves and place them in a toaster or toaster oven. Toast until the muffins are golden brown.
2. While the muffins are toasting, cut the ends off of the onion and peel away the outer skin. Chop the onion into little pieces (smaller than a raisin).
3. Wipe the mushrooms with a damp paper towel and slice off the very end part of each stem. Slice the mushrooms as thin as you can.
4. Make a tomato sauce by mixing the tomato paste, water, and oregano in a small bowl. Add a dash of black pepper for a spicier pizza.
5. Put your oven mitts on and place the toasted muffins on the broiler pan.
6. Top each with 1 tablespoon of the tomato sauce. Sprinkle with the onions and mushrooms and place a slice of cheese on top.
7. Put your oven mitts back on and place the pizzas under the broiler (of a stove or toaster oven), about 4 inches away from the heat. Broil until the cheese melts, about 4 or 5 minutes.
8. Share and enjoy!
For more healthy recipes check out the other delicious recipes listed on this blog or visit Green Mountain Healthy Living Recipe Favorites.