August has arrived and brought with it an abundance of hot days and heirloom tomatoes! This easy to make, no-cook salad is perfect for entertaining or for your own enjoyment. It’s a classic Italian caprese salad with a twist. Heirloom tomatoes come in different colors and sizes so it’s up to you which ones you use. This salad will leave you feeling satisfied and ready to enjoy the last month of summer!
- 1 large heirloom tomato
- 2-3 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (or cut into ribbons)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Thinly slice the heirloom tomato and arrange 3-4 slices on a plate.
- Next thinly slice the mozzarella cheese and place the slices on top of the tomatoes.
- In a separate dish combine the quartered grape tomatoes with the vinegar, olive oil, basil, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle tomato mixture over the sliced tomatoes and cheese.
- Save a fresh basil leaf for garnish. Bon appetit!
Note: Heirloom tomatoes only have a short season during August, so you can use regular red tomatoes throughout the rest of the year. They are also much steeper in price than regular tomatoes, so only use them if you want. Because they come in so many colors, shapes, and sizes, they work out beautifully for entertaining.