(Makes 4 cups)
A perfect salad for a hot summer day. Simple to make and the only thing you have to cook is the orzo. Choose the tastiest tomatoes in season — whether they are the small grape cherry tomatoes, vine-ripened heirloom or other locally grown tomatoes. Add onions, feta, and a few fresh herbs and you have a colorful, tasty salad that can serve as a side or main dish.
Planning a picnic in the park or your backyard? Serve this salad with cold sliced deli ham, mixed green and arugula salad, a crunchy whole-grain roll and a wedge of honeydew melon for dessert.
- 2 cups cooked orzo
- 1 ½ cups cherry grape tomatoes (or 1/1/2 cups diced tomatoes)
- ¼ cup chopped green onions or scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 container (4 ounces) feta crumbles
- Combine orzo, tomatoes, onions and herbs in a large bowl.
- Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and add to orzo mixture.
- Stir in feta crumbles.
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.