(Makes 3-4 servings)
Plentiful year-round, tomatoes add summer freshness to this light but hearty meal that features tasty and healthy ingredients to keep us well-fed in more ways than one. It’s a favorite at Green Mountain, even among participants who swear they don’t like beans.
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained (about 1½ cups)
- ¾ cup diced fresh tomatoes (or grape or cherry tomatoes, halved)
- ¼ cup finely chopped green onions
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red or white wine vinegar
- In a medium bowl, place garbanzos, tomatoes, onions, feta, parsley and thyme.
- In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and pour mixture over salad, tossing gently to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
For variety, add other herbs such as oregano or basil, and/or pitted black olives.