Learn to Thrive with Diabetes, Not Be Ruled by It
“Diabetes is as much an emotional disease as it is metabolic. Successful treatment entails working with the total array of health behaviors…”
~ American Diabetes Association
If you’re like most women with type 2 diabetes, you’ve heard your physicians recommend proper diet, weight loss and exercise to better manage your diabetes. But…
- It’s not like you haven’t already tried that.
- The thought of trying again, on top of all the other tasks that comprise our already time-constrained lives, seems formidable.
- Changing well-entrenched behaviors is a complicated process that requires education, understanding, patience and support.
- It also requires a different way. Calorie-counting and exercising because we “have to” just doesn’t work for most of us.
Experience A Different Way at Green Mountain at Fox Run
Guided by caring, knowledgeable professionals, you can learn how to make healthy living a natural part of your life, something you do because it feels good, not because you have to do it.
Since 1973, women with type 2 diabetes have come to Green Mountain at Fox Run for help in establishing a healthy lifestyle that’s truly livable. We understood then, as we do now, that an integrated healthy lifestyle program of healthy eating, active fitness, mindful meditation and behavioral change empowers women to take charge of their diabetes and their health. But it needed to be a program that allows women to live normal lives, not as ‘diabetics’ but as women who live well with diabetes.
Our healthy lifestyle program helps women enjoy healthy eating again, free of feelings of deprivation or restriction, even when health needs dictate their choices. It helps women find the joy in moving their bodies, which helps them do it consistently. It helps them deal positively with stress and emotions that lead to overeating.
As it turns out, this approach is the same that’s necessary to successfully manage Type 2 diabetes. Research from the Diabetes Prevention Program Study (DPP), conducted by Edward Horton, MD, Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, past president of the American Diabetes Association, and past advisor to Green Mountain, clearly underscores the value of a lifestyle approach for both prevention and management of Type 2 diabetes.
We also offer our Type 2 Diabetes package that will provide you with a personalized care plan to help speed your body’s response to healthy living. It includes:
- Two additional educational classes focused on specific nutrition considerations for individuals with type 2 diabetes.
- An evaluation of your self-assessment, Medical Symptoms Questionnaire and any lab results you provide, to be used during your classes and private nutrition consultation. This information may also be used to determine if supplementation, medical foods, or a special meal plan is recommended.* If we determine you have more extenuating health issues, we can arrange an appointment with one of our consulting functional medicine physicians.*
- A 50-minute consultation with one of our registered dietitians. This consult, typically done during your last week at Green Mountain, will help you prepare for making the transition home, with the goal of implementing the eating and lifestyle modifications important to managing your condition.
- BioImpedance Analysis (BIA) – For those enrolling in a 3 or 4 week package, a BIA measurement will taken at the beginning and end of your stay. This clinical measurement tool is used to determine several parameters of health such as lean body mass, fat body mass, intracellular and extracellular fluids.
Knowing what to do isn’t the problem for women with diabetes as much as knowing how to put it all together. Learn how at Green Mountain at Fox Run.
Mastering Type 2 Diabetes Package Rates*
1 or 2 week stay $495
3 or 4 week stay $595
*In addition to our regular program rates. Supplements,
medical foods, special meal plans, testing and any physician appointments are also additional.