Syndrome X, insulin resistance syndrome, obesity syndrome…no matter what you call it, metabolic syndrome increases the risk of heart disease, diabetes, stroke and other health problems. Experts estimate that at least one out of four American adults meet the criteria for metabolic syndrome, and our risk increases as we gain weight and get older.
Metabolic syndrome is diagnosed if you have at least three of the five metabolic risk factors.
These risk factors are:
- A large waistline (abdominal obesity)
- A higher than normal triglyceride level (or you’re on medicine to treat high triglycerides)
- A lower than normal HDL cholesterol level (or you’re on medicine to treat low HDL cholesterol)
- Higher than normal blood pressure (or you’re on medicine to treat high blood pressure)
- Higher than normal fasting blood sugar (or you’re on medicine to treat high blood sugar)
Preventing and Treating Metabolic Syndrome
Healthy lifestyle changes are the first line of treatment for metabolic syndrome. At the top of that list is, you guessed it, losing weight. You may have already been advised by your doctor or other health care provider to begin a program of healthy lifestyle change to lose weight. Research studies suggest this is your best bet for managing or even overcoming metabolic syndrome. So the obvious question becomes, just how do you accomplish this in an otherwise busy life where confusion abounds about how to lose weight healthfully and keep it off.
For women serious about managing metabolic syndrome, Green Mountain has offered, for almost four decades, a comprehensive healthy lifestyle program that’s helped thousands of women achieve healthy weights and maintain weight loss without dieting, deprivation, excessive exercise or discipline.
To speed your body’s response to a healthy lifestyle, we also offer our Women’s Metabolic Syndrome package,which is built on Green Mountain’s time-tested healthy weight loss program for women. You’ll take part in our powerful program that has been developed and refined over the last four decades to help women become intrinsically motivated to live healthfully – to make it something you want to do rather than feel you have to do.
Our Metabolic Syndrome package also includes a personalized care plan specifically designed to address your individual challenges in living healthfully with metabolic syndrome. The package includes:
- Two additional educational classes focused on specific nutrition considerations for individuals with metabolic syndrome.
- An evaluation of your self-assessment, Medical Symptoms Questionnaire and any lab results you provide, to be used during your classes and private nutrition consultation. This information may also be used to determine if supplementation, medical foods, or a special meal plan is recommended.* If we determine you have more extenuating health issues, we can arrange an appointment with one of our consulting functional medicine physicians.*
- A 50-minute consultation with one of our registered dietitians. This consult, typically done during your last week at Green Mountain, will help you prepare for making the transition home, with the goal of implementing the eating and lifestyle modifications important to managing your condition.
- BioImpedance Analysis (BIA) – For those enrolling in a 3 or 4 week package, a BIA measurement will taken at the beginning and end of your stay. This clinical measurement tool is used to determine several parameters of health such as lean body mass, fat body mass, intracellular and extracellular fluids.
Healing Metabolic Syndrome Package Rates*
1 or 2 week stay $495
3 or 4 week stay $595
*In addition to our regular program rates. Supplements,
medical foods, special meal plans, testing and any physician appointments are also additional.
If you have any questions, please Call Us at (800) 448-8106 or Email Us.