This recipe is a great healthy twist on an old comfort classic. The roasted pepitas added on top give the dish the perfect crunch. It’s wonderful recipe to enjoy as we make it through the cold days of winter.
- 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni, dry
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas), roasted
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Pre-cook pasta until aldente and set aside in baking pan.
- Crumb pumpkins seeds in food processor and set aside.
- Saute onion, garlic, carrots, and celery in olive oil until soft.
- Add sauted vegetables, milk, salt, and pepper to blender and puree.
- Add shredded cheese to this vegetable mixture and pulse a few times to mix in.
- Stir vegetable-cheese mixture into pasta and then top entire pan with pepitas.
- Bake in oven at 400 for about 15 minutes or until golden on top.