Are You Obsessed With Food?

159 Flares Facebook 41 Twitter 14 Google+ 1 Pin It Share 102 LinkedIn 1 Email -- 159 Flares ×

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

Dieters Think About Food More Often Than ‘Normal Eaters’

food-obsession It’s almost a given that as soon as you start a diet, you think about food more. There are physiological and psychological reasons for this. Both hinge on the fact that if food is restricted, we end up thinking about it more.

Do you constantly have food thoughts such as:

• “I really want to eat that but I know I shouldn’t.”
  • “I wish I hadn’t eaten all that.”
  • “How many calories have I eaten?”
  • How much will that cookie put me over my daily limit?”

Research shows that “normal eaters” think about food 15-20% of the time throughout the day, but dieters often will think about food 25-65% of their day. That’s a lot of time you could be putting to better use instead of having thoughts like the ones above.

Has A Food Obsession Started Taking Up Too Much Of Your Life?

Food (Questions) for Thought

1. Are you eating enough?
    Trying to cut your intake to a low caloric level or tiny portions may be the cause of your food focus. Under-eating is sure to trigger constant food thoughts.
  2. Are you eating too restrictively?
    Eliminating food groups or essential nutrients like carbohydrates or fat can drive cravings. It’s your body telling you you need these things.
  3. Are you denying yourself permission to eat certain foods that you really love?
    Telling yourself you can’t eat something may make it much more appealing, if it’s just done to manage weight. (If there’s a real food sensitivity behind it, that’s a different story.)
  4. Are other people the source of your food focus?
    Spending time with others who constantly talk about food, dieting, calories, grams of this or that, may be fueling your food focus. Is it time to declare a diet-free zone in your life?

If your answer is yes to most of these questions, your reasons for thinking about food all the time might have to do with some of these behaviors, which can be changed with a bit of awareness.

Food Obsession or Disordered Eating?

Food was pretty much all I thought about

Many of you who know me are aware that I used to struggle with disordered eating. I went from anorexia, to binge eating, to bulimia. I honestly can recall days when I was so depressed I didn’t want to get out of bed, but then when I thought about being able to eat, I’d muster the motivation to get up.

At that point in my life, food was pretty much all I thought about. I can see how people struggling with constant food thoughts would begin to label their relationship with food as obsessive or call it food addiction.

Constantly thinking about food and nutrition can make it appear like you have an addiction. However, it’s a normal response to think about food when you are deprived of it.

Food is one of the greatest pleasures of life.

But should it be what you live for?

One of the saddest things about food obsession is how much it distracts from other important things.When I was struggling with disordered eating and hyper-focused on food, there was not much else going on in my life. Looking back, I feel robbed of some pretty important years of my life since there was a lot of good stuff I think I missed out on.

Food is great; you should enjoy it, but should it be what you live for? If you feel like food, nutrition, calorie calculations, and carbo-phobia (I made that word up, but the premise is very real) are taking up way too much of your time and attention, it may be time to examine what you are doing or not doing to create such a huge focus on food in your life.

To learn about how Green Mountain can help with behaviors, such as binge eating, food addiction and food obsession, read about our program here.

• […] or obsessing about eating, or spinning the old familiar loop of the ways you hate your body, or need to change, they all show […]

• Klaire says:

Thank you for this. Food obsession is the body’s natural response. Our minds enter starvation mode when we are deprived and make us want it that much more. I needed this post today, so thanks again.

• Aqiyl Aniys | Natural Life Energy says:

I eat a lot of food and have lost and maintained my weight loss, but food is my friend now compared to before. I love food, but the thing is I eat just a whole food plant based diet. I found that removing foods that had a lot of chemicals additives from my diet helped the most. The hard thing was that those foods are the most additive (cakes with a lot of chemical additives, candy, high fructose corn syrup additives, and cooking with a lot of oil). There is no way around it. Those foods cause to many inflammatory reactions in the body which cause us to retain fat, mucus, and cause illness.

• Robyn says:

I’m glad this spoke to you, Klaire. I agree in it being a natural response on the body’s part. Aqiyl Aniys, I love that food is your friend, that is music to my ears. Food can be good to us, especially when you do the work of figuring out which foods make you feel the best, as you have done.

• Beth Warner says:

Some mornings I stand at the sink as I make my aloe drink and I feel so overwhelmed by the thought of having to plan the food for the day. I get through the day relatively well but wish it all came much more easily. This morning I stood at the sink, drank my aloe and just moved on to breakfast. Some days start just fine.

• Harriet Krivit says:

Hi Beth…Thanks for your for your honest, inspiring post….A for you for continuing, yes “Some days start just fine”. It’s the courage to keep going and not give up. Big achievement!

• says:

I need help I am obsessed with food all I think about is food and won’t do anything unless food is involved

• Marsha Hudnall says:

Did this article help at all, Kelly? What it reviews is at the root of food obsession for a lot of people.

• Jenny says:

Not all, but a lot of my energy and time are focused on food. I’m in fat loss mode right now, and I am trying, TRYING to stop obsessing over food and put it in its rightful place. Fuel. Enjoyable, necessary, but just one of the things in my day instead of the most important.
      Hard to break habits of a lifetime.

• Beth Warner says:

I am really struggling as I try to complete a three week course of a true FODMAP Diet. It is so restrictive. I have seen a nutritionist who has made it harder by having me throw out foods I have been adapting to for my gluten free and dairy free needs. These foods and many other things contain carrageenans. So my comfort level has been thrown into a tail spin. I am now again focusing on good food vs. bad food. My inclination is to chuck everything out the window. But I feel that GM had such a positive philosophy that I could maintain and want to try to find a middle ground. I feel disheartened and frustrated.

• Marsha Hudnall MS, RDN, CD says:

It is so hard, Beth, when we have food intolerances that make it seem like “good” food and “bad” food. But if you can hang in there, a process like you’re going through may really help you sort out things and heal in the long run. How are you doing with all this — I know my comment is several months late — I just saw it. So sorry.

• Beth Warner says:

Marsha, it is a struggle but every day I begin again, write down my food choices, and I make choices. I have a wonderful nutritionist who is patient and full of good ideas. I am making progress. I am grateful for my start at GM and hope to make another visit in the near future. Thank you. Beth

• Dana Pelletier says:

First off, you’re stunningly beautiful. I’m glad you got a grip on your eating situation. The eating cycle I found myself in was ; Wheat Belly syndrome. Once I started in on anything with GMO wheat, specifically , my body just couldn’t stop! The ” you can’t just eat one” became my mantra. That, along with emotional stress, was doing me in. I’ve now gone wheat less and have therapy! Your article is spot on, thank you!

• Leslie says:

I’m 3 days into my raw vegan diet (no im not one of those ‘THE POOR BABY COW HAS FEELINGS’ bc I have and could eat an entire baby cow and not bat an eye) and sweets/baked goods/candy aren’t an issue. But thinking about the salty good yummy dinner food like burgers, pizzas, fried stuff, chicken and dumplings, steak dinners have taken over my entire life. Its seriously all I think about all day. It doesn’t help I have a mother that’s the best cook in the world and while she’s making country fried porkchops smothered in gravy, I’m sitting here with my carrot being hungry and only thinking about how good that pork chop would taste. All day I think about food. I Google my favorite meals just so I can look at them, like I’m about to cry thinking about how hungry I am for a good steak dinner with loaded mashed potatoes, I’m always hungry, im sick of raw unsalted unbuttered veggies and UGH.
    I’m sorry I’m just… This sucks. If I’m this bad on day 2, how can I go the rest of my diet (I’m 170, I wanna get down to 130) when all I think about is food?