How to Be Happy Now | Stop Waiting To Be Thin

Happiness – The Be All End All

If you really think about it, being happy is the ultimate goal, the reason we might strive to do almost anything. Everyone wants to be happy.

• Why would I want to take care of health?  So I can be well enough in old age to enjoy my retirement and travel.  Why?  Because that would make me happy.
  • Why would I want to do well in school or at work?  So I can get a good job and make money to buy things I like or need.  Why?  Because I think that would make me happy.
  • Why do I want to lose weight?  Because I think it will open up a host of possibilities to me that felt previously unavailable and that will make me happy.
  • Why do I donate money to animal rescues?  Because I love animals and want to help end their suffering.  It makes me happy.
  • Why would I clean my house on the weekend?  Because a clean house gives me a sense of accomplishment and it’s much more pleasant to be in and that makes me happy.

Don’t Delay Happiness

Look closely at the things you are doing in the pursuit of happiness.  Some may not result in you being happier.  For example, making lots of money, having the fancy car or huge house, or working your way up the ranks at work….these things often don’t contribute to happiness as much as one might think.  Also, you may ask yourself if happiness is only a possibility once you reach your goal.

It’s not uncommon for women to delay doing things that would make us happy, until we’ve lost weight.   There are lots of things you can do to make yourself happier now, without having reached goals that you think will make you happy.

What Does it Take To Be Happy?

Depending on where you look, you can find tons of lists/tips for being happy, documentaries on how to be happy, TED talks on the subject, and plenty of info on positive psychology. Googling around, here is a list of things that keep making the cut for creating happiness:

• First and foremost, take care of basic needs. Eat enough, sleep enough, move your body.
  • Connect with others. Spend more time with your family, friends, God, or get involved in groups in your community, especially if this time spent involves helping others.
  • Get outside!  Sunshine, fresh air, natural surroundings, and apparently even the right temperature, 57 degrees F, are said to boost your mood.
  • Find your talent. Seek out things you are good at and allow time in your routine to zone out in those activities.  Finding the things that are fun enough to make time fly by encourages feeling happier.
  • Practice gratitude. Focus on the good things each day, whether it’s jotting down a list of 3 things you are grateful for each night, or journaling on one positive thing that happened that day.
  • Stay in the present. Mind wandering usually brings people back to negative thoughts.  Even focusing on something neutral or positive doesn’t seem to create the same sense of happiness and just focusing on the moment you are in.
  • Forgive.
  • Meditate.
  • Smile.
  • Surround yourself with puppies.  This is just my personal suggestion.

What would you add to this list? What are simple things you do to increase your level of happiness?

16 responses to “How to Be Happy Now | Stop Waiting To Be Thin”

1. BMB says:

I would add spending a lot of time at the first kitty café that is about to open in my area. Weeee! Kitty therapy, a nice cup of tea or coffee, meet new people while getting pet therapy. Could there be anything better? 🙂

2. These are all great ways to make your life happier

3. What do you mean plan a trip but don’t take it?

• shirimacri says:

We use this graphic because it really speaks to some of the scientifically proven ways to increase joy and happiness. In the suggestion to plan a trip but not take it, a study published in 2010 in the Journal of Applied Research on the Quality of Life found that much of the joy around vacations came during the planning. So the idea is that even if you can’t actually go, plan one and happiness will improve. And if you can actually go…bonus!

• JB says:

Love this graphic but wish they would change the travel to actually take it! That’s a downer on the the graphic despite what the Journal said. I feel that brings more stress and depression, if you don’t take it, than what the fun of planning it gives.

• GratefulOne says:

Do take a trip then; they mean if you can’t take it, you can in your mind. But you may feel good if you plan that trip for the future. IYou can sit in your yard with your fave drink, I love to go to the Dog Park. They make me happy. One can take a day vacation too. The beach, with the sun in face, waves crashing, feet in sand, the taste of the water, yum.. A bus, car or train ride, just to ride…I need to go to the beach now haha. ✌🏿️ Have fun

4. Edward says:

Good post. All of those things really do make me feel happy. I think that doing things we love, meditating, forgiving, being grateful, being present etc increase our energy which makes us feel good. While not being grateful, being angry with others, thinking too much about what went wrong in the past drains our energy which makes it hard to even smile. The only other thing I would add to the list is to pat the cat regularly. The reason I say this is because Jack Canfield mentioned it in a film as something that makes us feel good. Upon further investigation, turns out that the cat purr harmonic frequency has healing powers. (Tweeted and Pinned)

5. ram lalwani says:

To be happy ….one must always follows the sayings of heart

6. Nimish says:

To be happy is have over the years distilled three points
    Be honest
    Keep it simple
    Have as less a expectation from any relation

7. Debby says:

The only thing I would add is to spend time with children- their outlook on life is so inspiring . Spend time with the elderly- their outlook on life is so inspiring. It’s those in the middle that have so much to learn.

8. Veena Shiggavankar says:

The higher version of happiness is Joy. To experience this,first needs to be joyfull within ourselves, our true inner family our Body, our Mind & Soul. Let us come back & reunite with our true family which we have been separated from eons of lifetimes & let us have loving relationship within ourselves. Then there is no point in searching our happiness or Joy in others or other things. Because the internal world reflects to the external world. “AS IN SO OUT”. The Joy which comes from external world is flexible or Artificial than the inner world which is fixed & eternal & very few on this Planet have experienced & experiencing now.. Thanks & much Love to all my dear friends.– LIFE DESIGNER/RESEARCHER.

9. Merri Ferrell says:

It is harder to be in a “community” than you think. My friends contact me and want to get together, set the time, place and then don’t show up. Or are so late by hours I have experienced more anxiety waiting for them than is worth seeing them. From walking dogs with friends to meeting in the city for dinner…cancelled plans, no shows, “I forgot.”

10. Judy Schechter says:

Sad that those of allergic to cats and/or dogs can’t take advantage of that one.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

About the Author

Marsha Hudnall, MS, RDN, CD

If you’re looking for an embodiment of dedication disguised as obsession, look no further. Marsha is a registered dietitian who has spent the last four decades working to help women give up dieting rules and understand how to truly take care of themselves. Her mission in life is to help women learn to enjoy eating and living well, without worries about their weight. She encourages women to embrace their love of food, which you might call being a foodie. If so, it’s appropriate because being a foodie means you pay attention when you eat. That’s a recipe made in heaven for eating well. Marsha is the President and Co-Owner of Green Mountain at Fox Run.

View Author Page