40 Ideas for Incorporating Self-Care into Your Life

By:

Self-Care Influences Emotional Overeating

self-careWe say it often at Green Mountain: When stress increases, self-care decreases. But adding self-care strategies into your life can make a serious impact on emotional overeating.

40 Self-Care Ideas

In keeping up our top-40 series, we present 40 Ideas for Incorporating Self-Care into Your Life:

1. Work with professionals, e.g., personal trainers, nutritionists or therapists who support Health at Every Size
  2. Plan a comedy night, with the internet or at a club
  3. Drink your coffee with your whole attention
  4. Say 3 affirmations before you walk into a tough meeting
  5. Create a grab bag of healthy snacks for your car
  6. Experiment with eating 3 foods in different ways: Cut the hamburger in quarters, eat the ice cream sitting on the fit ball, put the spoon down between bites
  7. Go to bed earlier
  8. Put your feet in a bath of Epsom salt as you watch your favorite TV show
  9. Reconnect with an old friend
  10. Engage an old passion, like painting, playing piano or dancing
  11. Find ways to incorporate fish into your diet more often
  12. Hire a housekeeper
  13. Walk during your lunch
  14. Eat predictably and regularly
  15. Practice deep breathing
  16. Take a long, hot bath or shower before bed
  17. Go somewhere beautiful outdoors, sit in the sunshine and get your Vitamin D
  18. Listen to soothing music instead of having the TV on
  19. Pet or walk an animal (good for you and them)
  20. Practice gentle stretching to release tight muscles
  21. Write a gratitude list
  22. Paint your nails or get a manicure
  23. Try batch cooking some of your go-to foods so you have them on hand
  24. Buy clothes that fit your body well today
  25. Have a plan ready for hard days where you may want to emotionally overeat
  26. Schedule one silent, mindful meal at home each week
  27. Do a crossword puzzle or play Sudoku (brain health!)
  28. Cut veggies up and have them in the fridge so you have easy and quick access
  29. Write a bucket list
  30. Plan your next vacation
  31. Explore closure habits for meals, e.g., keep tea bags or mints in your purse
  32. Download and listen to a podcast for your commute
  33. Have conversations with your loved ones about how they can best support you
  34. Spend time with the energy makers in your life and less time with the energy takers
  35. Find a fulfilling breakfast that makes you feel great
  36. Reach out and hug someone (you get a hug back!)
  37. Practice lifting your heart instead of “standing up straight”
  38. Celebrate your small successes!
  39. Schedule your annual doctor’s appointments – dentist, gyno, etc.
  40. Pick three of these ideas and see if they make a difference, then add more

40 ideas for Incorporating Self Care Into Your Life | Green Mountain at Fox Run40 ideas for Incorporating Self Care Into Your Life | Green Mountain at Fox Run40 ideas for Incorporating Self Care Into Your Life | Green Mountain at Fox Run40 ideas for Incorporating Self Care Into Your Life | Green Mountain at Fox Run40 ideas for Incorporating Self Care Into Your Life | Green Mountain at Fox Run40 ideas for Incorporating Self Care Into Your Life | Green Mountain at Fox Run

What would you add to this list?

[hbutton link=”http://www.fitwoman.com/our-program/”]Learn More About Our Healthy Weight Loss Program >>[/hbutton]

6 responses to “40 Ideas for Incorporating Self-Care into Your Life”

1. Marnie says:

Fabulous!! I am printing it and keeping it my journal.

2. Audrey says:

Gonna add some of these to my cookie jar!

3. Colette says:

Very helpful. Will print it and incorporate 3 a week or so. Great for journaling and cookie jar as well. the replies were helpful.

4. BMB says:

Awesome list. Actually got the TV off listening to music. 🙂 It is encouraging to see that I am already doing some of the items listed. No new year’s resolutions.
    I want to simplify my life
    Focus on my physical and mental health. Pursue a dream I have had for years.
    Get back into practicing mindfulness
    Toss out toxic people and stop worrying about what they think.
    Most of all, take baby steps. Can’t change being an overachiever, but maybe slow down a bit. 🙂
    To a kick-butt, fun, and fulfilling 2015!

5. Dana says:

Boils down to: mindfulness . As women, were always doing for others letting ourselves fall back to the back of the burners. Now that I have time, I’ve signed up for beginner aerobics, I go swimming and I try to eat better. Duh. Common sense items. It’s the late night eating when my demons come out. That’s where I need the strength.

• BMB says:

Yes! Mindfulness. 🙂 I went for a drive in a rural area; gorgeous rolling hills, rain clouds with sun rays piercing through, etc. It was beautiful.

I am not so disciplined with my gratitude journal. Instead, I have been taking tons of pictures to remind myself of the good people and things around me. Picture diary with captions.

Working on getting back into a healthy routine, job hunting, and I am going for walks. Next up, yoga class, planning and saving for a mini vacation at the Gulf Coast 🙂 That is the carrot I want!

Don’t beat yourself up over late night eating. If it is sensible, it is actually a good thing. Keeps your glucose level from crashing while you sleep. No insomnia, better sleep. I have a snack every night before I go to bed; out like a light!

I love your list. Thank you for sharing. I have added random acts of kindness and pay heartfelt compliments, even to strangers. It is amazing how surprised people are to receive them.

Happy hump day! ♡

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

About the Author

Marsha Hudnall, MS, RDN, CD

Marsha has been a guiding force at Green Mountain at Fox Run since 1986. In addition to overseeing a professional program that helps women establish sustainable approaches to healthy living, she is a respected thought leader when it comes to managing eating, emotions and weight. She has been a voice of reason for the last three decades in helping people move away from diets, an area in which she is personally as well as professionally versed. An accomplished writer and speaker, Marsha is the author of six books, including the online course Disordered Eating in Active and Sedentary Individuals (co-authored by Karin Kratina, PhD, RD, Human Kinetics), What You Need to Know about Carbohydrates (Academy for Nutrition and Dietetics [The Academy]), What You Need to Know about Vitamin and Mineral Supplements (The Academy), and The Pregnancy Cookbook (co-authored by Donna Shields, RD, Berkeley Publishing). She has worked extensively on a national basis to educate the public about nutrition and the impact of dieting on eating behaviors, including binge eating and emotional eating. Active in many organizations helping to further the cause of health and wellness, Marsha currently serves as vice chair of the Binge Eating Disorder Association and vice president of The Center for Mindful Eating and has been active in the Association for Size Diversity and Health in support of Health at Every Size(R) principles.

View Author Page