Filling Up With Something Other Than Food
Today’s blog post is part of our top-40 series to mark Green Mountain’s 40th anniversary.
Sometimes it’s just really hard to imagine how to fill yourself up in lieu of food. Eating in mindless ways can be an attempt to help yourself feel better, but what if the food isn’t getting to the source of the emptiness? What if it’s spiritual hunger?
Wendy N., a recent participant at Green Mountain at Fox Run, gave us 40 recommendations we can all use when the food is calling and the need is something different than physical hunger.
Spiritual Hunger: What Are You Truly Hungry For?
40 Ways to Feed Your Spiritual Hunger
- Feel and see sunlight
- Look at, listen to, and be near water: rivers, streams, lakes, ocean
- Stretch, as in Streeetchhhh
- Be outside
- Hike in the woods
- Walk on the beach
- Watch a sunset
- Listen to bird songs
- Listen to emotionally stirring music
- Hold hands with my husband or think about his arms around me
- Participate in a fun and/or worthwhile activity with others
- Call, email text message or have a meal with a fun friend
- Help someone out
- Talk with my daughter or just think about her
- Feel strong in my body
- Have a friendly conversation with a stranger
- Watch children or animals play
- Train, walk or play with my dog
- Create art work or crafts
- Cook a new recipe
- Fix something in my house
- View art works
- Learn and use a new skill
- Start something new
- Smile and enjoy seeing a smile returned
- Visualize an enjoyable trip
- Take a long walk, bike ride, etc.
- Hug my mom, my daughter, or a friend
- Give someone a gift
- Visit my elderly aunt
- Watch an emotional movie
- Enjoy loving and being loved
- Share happy or intellectual energy with others
- Notice when I feel free and write it down to read later
- Sit in and savor a beautiful courtyard
- Design a schedule that includes time for me
- Eat the thing I really want with no judgment and pleasure
- Connect with my Green Mountain me by reading my binder
Do any of these ideas speak to you? Do you have any other suggestion to fill your spirit that others might use?
40 Self Care Ideas to Incorporate Into Your Life >>