I’ve been on a mission lately to eat less processed. As a result, I have been looking for veggie burger recipes with a plan to buy less pre-made veggie burgers. It dawned on me that a vegetarian recipe I’ve been making for years, lentil loaf, would be a great base for a homemade veggie burger.
While we don’t make lentil loaf often at Green Mountain at Fox Run, I do like to make it at home and I hope you enjoy it. Lentils have amazing health benefits and are a great addition to any diet.
Robyn’s Lentil Loaf – 12 servings
- 1/2 pound dried lentils
- 3 small vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 12 ounces button mushroom, sliced
- 1/2 pound uncooked lentils
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/8 teaspoon sage
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook lentils in a medium sauce pan with enough water to cover by a couple inches. Add the bouillon cubes to the cooking water once hot. Once lentils are soft, remove from heat and strain off any remaining water. Set aside.
- While lentils cook, toast walnuts in toaster oven. Once warm and fragrant, transfer nuts to a food processor and pulse until they are ground into a course meal. Leave in food processor.
- In a separate pan, saute onion and garlic until translucent, then add mushrooms and continue to saute until mushrooms are soft. Transfer the veggies to the food processor with the nuts and pulse until veggies are minced and mixed into walnuts.
- Transfer vegetable-nut mix to a large mixing bowl then add cooked lentils, grated carrots, herbs, celery salt, and oats.
- Gently press mixture into loaf pan and bake for about 20-25 minutes. If making veggie burgers, use about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of mixture to create patties to pan fry.
- Both the loaf (cut into slices) or the patties freeze very well. Reheat in the microwave then top with your favorite gravy, sauce, ketchup or just eat it plain.
How do you prepare lentils at your house?