Despite our recent “heat wave” of 40 degree temps here in VT, I must remind myself that we aren’t even 1 month into Winter. So, expecting more cool weather in our future, it’s a good time of year for hot meals. This recipe for Black Bean Soup is a favorite from Recipes for Living 2011 Edition, our most recent Green Mountain at Fox Run digital cookbook.
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 6 cups of cooked black beans (if using canned rinse well)
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tomato
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 quart water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup diced roasted red peppers
Combine all ingredients, except the cheese and roasted red peppers, in a soup pot. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered for 45 minutes. Puree then adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, and adjust texture with water. Serve topped with the shredded cheese and roasted peppers. Makes 12 one-cup servings.
What’s your favorite cool-weather soup?