When you want to make a change, such as overcoming overeating, it is easier to add a behavior than to take one away. One thing I suggest is to experiment with adding healthy rebel behavior to your life.
In my last blog I talked about how rebel behavior can feel like self sabotage. By noticing the “shoulding” and self criticism you do to yourself, you can learn how sneaking eating or drinking or shopping can be triggered.
But healthy rebel behavior is an outlet for that “jazzy” energy and can reduce overeating and sneaky eating or the “screw it” attitude when it comes to enjoyable exercise or movement.
Healthy rebel behavior is very individual and one size does not fit all. It is what is edgy for you. For some people that might be swearing and for others it might be learning to ride a Harley.
Find your own rebel behavior to add
Here are some ideas that women at Green Mountain at Fox Run are using:
- Dance to rap or comedic music
- Go for a drive, blasting music, windows rolled down
- Go commando
- Engage in outdoor sex (safe sex, of course…and with someone you know, hopefully)
- Go to the bathroom in the men’s room
- Fill your water bottle from the water coolers “for cups only”
- Use naughty words
- Unbuckle your seatbelt on a plane while the seatbelt sign is still lit
- Rearrange someone’s organizational system
- Wear un-matching socks
- Go barefoot
- Go in to a store and ask the salesclerk a question…in an accent
- DARE to love yourself
- Do something spontaneous
- Make a bucket list and follow through with the activities
- Dare to take a day to yourself
- Get a Brazilian wax
- Wear a push-up bra!
- Put up Christmas lights in July
- Scream! Let it out and SCREAM!
Rebel energy, whether it be sneaking food or refusing to get out of bed to go for a walk, helps us feel like we are giving something to ourselves that we shouldn’t be doing. So experiment with some wild and weird safe behaviors that can make you feel more alive and maybe even laugh.
Please, oh please, send me your ideas for healthy rebel behavior. My goal is a list for 100! Thanks