Although the start of Fall means Winter is soon approaching, I have to admit it’s an amazing time of year. The leaves changing color is almost magical, the crisp cool air is perfect for outdoor activities, and having fresh pumpkin available is one of my favorite things. Last year, almost on the same date, I blogged my recipe for a Vegan Pumpkin Custard.
This year I grew my own pumpkins, shown in the photo with my rabbit Arugula guarding them. So with a dozen small pumpkins to carve, cook and eat I’m going to need to come up with a lot more ideas for pumpkin recipes. Here are a few I might try:
- Green Mountain’s Autumn Chicken & Butternut Squash Stew – but swapping out the butternut for pumpkin
- Pumpkin Lasagna
- Thai Pumpkin Soup – I’m VERY excited about this one
- Pumpkin Zucchini Black Bean Brownies – I have yet to invent this, but it will happen!
- Of course my standard pumpkin pancakes & waffles that I batch cook and freeze
- Green Mountain’s Pumpkin Smoothie:
1 frozen banana
1/3 cup cooked pumpkin
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate
2 teaspoons of honey (I’m going to use maple syrup since I live in VT)
Dash of cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
Blend and serve cold!
What interesting ways do you incorporate pumpkin into your meals and snacks? I’m looking for any new ideas and I hope you are brave enough to check out a few I suggested above.