Thanks to Serena Ball, RD, of Teaspoon Communications, who along with her partner Deanna Segrave-Daly, RD, regularly feature recipes that delight the taste buds and the body, too. Check out their site for pictures of this great recipe.
- 2 large rounds of watermelon, sliced ½-inch thick, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 tablespoon fig balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- ½ cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated finely (about 1 ounce)
- Microgreens (such as mesclun mix)
- ½ teaspoon Fleur de sel (crunchy French sea salt)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- Cut watermelon slices into half moon and then into 3 triangles; you will have 12 triangles total. Brush with olive oil.
- Whisk together a dressing of lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon olive oil and basil; set aside.
- Preheat grill pan (for about 5 minutes) over medium high heat until very hot. (Turn on oven exhaust fan while preheating.)
- Grill watermelon for about 2 minutes per side until grill marks appear.
- Dress microgreens with dressing, ¼ cup cheese and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Divide microgreens among 4 plates. Top each with 3 slices watermelon, rest of cheese, rest of salt and a quarter of the chives; drizzle any remaining dressing (or more fig balsamic) over watermelon.