Network Execs Act Like Boobs Over Boobs

Some of you may have already heard all the fuss around a Lane Bryant lingerie ad which didn’t hit the airways last week because it was deemed to be of an inappropriate nature.  ABC pulled the ad (which was to run during “Dancing With The Stars”) and FOX demanded “excessive edits” for the ad which was to run during the highly viewed, “Idol Gives Back” .  Needless to say, Ms. Bryant is fighting mad!

Before we go on, check out the Lane Bryant ad here, and see for yourself.

First of all, if ABC doesn’t have a problem with sexy, super toned dancers flipping upside down half nekid every Monday night on Dancing With The Stars, then why would a little plus-sized (that’s debatable in and of itself), breast and thighs cause such an uproar? Is it a double standard?

FOX has repeatedly run ads through the years for Victoria Secret, and if you’ve seen any number of their commercials, you’re perfectly aware that boobs, bums and bellies are a plenty. The difference? You tell me…Victoria Secret, The Nakeds.

Personally, I’m not so sure it’s a double standard as much as it’s a question of boobs. Clearly, the only difference between underwear commercials (Victoria Secret vs. Lane Bryant) is the size of the model’s breasts. More breast equals a higher quotient of tawdry, perversion, what exactly?

Are we so provincial, or simply scared of big, beautiful women in their underwear?

You can read more about the whole scandalous affair on Stylelist.com.

8 responses to “Network Execs Act Like Boobs Over Boobs”

1. Jaime says:

Complete stupidity! The Lane Bryant commercial is beautiful, the networks miss again.

2. Laura says:

Thanks Cindy, for your sensible comments on this ridiculous decision.

3. I agree with you, Cindy. I was surprised when they wouldn’t run the commercial, because I immediately thought of the Victoria Secret commercials, which are typically pretty provocative. Seems like a double standard to me.
    .-= Margarita Tartakovsky’s last blog post..Recovering from Compulsive Eating: One Blogger’s Story =-.

4. Cindy says:

There may be more to the story, but Lane Bryant has effectively positioned themselves for their moment in the sun. The free press can’t be all bad.

5. love2eatinpa says:

this is the first i’m hearing of this (yes, i live under a rock!).

i see nothing wrong with the lane bryant ad, especially when compared to victoria secret ads! i think the lane bryant one is actually more tastefully done than the vs ads.

really, what kind of message is this putting out there? don’t you think it would be great for young girls to see a “larger” woman feeling good about herself as opposed to seeing a stick figure with impants?

6. Heather says:

I agree with love2eatinpa — I think the LB ad is more tasteful than the VS ad. So silly.

And I’d be afraid to dance in that “dress.” Too much potential for a wardrobe malfunction!!

7. Literacygirl says:

I saw the Lane Bryant commercial. I thought it was a little risque (for my taste) for primetime viewing hours. That being said, I think Victoria Secret is a bit too risque as well. And some of the costumes on DWTS are just a bit much. How about more modesty for all three? Blessings!

8. cindy says:

I actually agree with you Literacygirl. Too much for me too! But there is still a standard that doesn’t seem to play fairly across the genre.