Another Hapless Birthday

By:

Another ‘come and gone’ birthday has just rolled by. Once you’ve successfully hurdled the mid-century mark, who wants to celebrate, right? (I have to admit, I haven’t been aging as gracefully as I’d hoped). Well, yesterday I realized something.  I miss the celebration that was once so much a party of my birthday.

I’m still a bit of a stranger in paradise, here in Vermont. Most of my friends and all of my family still dwell on the west coast, so  sneaking past another  birthday unnoticed has been pretty easy to do.

So, on my way home from work last night, I felt compelled to ‘do something special’ for myself.

A massage? No, too late to make an appointment.  Buy a great pair of shoes? No, no good shoe stores in sight. Take a warm bath and toast myself with some bubbly in the bubbly? No, too cliche. So, what did I choose? Ice cream.

Why ice cream? Apparently, I still harbor memories of childbood parties with ice cream, cake, friends, candles, lots of parties and being special for a day, and I perhaps it was some attempt to ‘celebrate’ with a tried and true friend.

The problem? I don’t really like cake, ice cream and candles anymore, and I really don’t eat refined sugar. Not that birthday cake and ice cream is a sin (it isn’t), but that kind of  indulgence is rarely all it’s cracked up to be.

About halfway through my ice cream I realized, this isn’t as good as I remember…and to make matters worse, I woke up in the middle of the night and my immediate thought was, did I drink?  Obviously, my body was sending me a very clear message…me no LIKEY ice cream. Oh, and, ‘you’re not 10.’

So the next time I reeeally want to do something special for myself, I’ll think it through a little bit more, prepare for my special day and really celebrate…Cindy style!

6 responses to “Another Hapless Birthday”

1. Nutrition to Kitchen says:

Happy birthday Cindy! I agree that sometimes the nostalgia you associate with food can leave you a little disappointed when you realize it’s not really ‘that good’ anymore. 🙂

2. Chef Lisa says:

Cindy my dear, you let me know when you want to celebrate and we will paint the town red! Happy birthday to you *mwah*

3. Jaime says:

Happy Birthday! Next year-eating ice cream, out of a new shoe, in a bubble bath! A two for one celebration!!!!

4. Cindy says:

Thanks for all the birthday wishes (boy do I know how to work the birthday-sympathy card!). I think ‘food nostalgia’ is a great title and topic for an interesting post, Tram.

BTW, chefs Jon and Lisa took pity on me today and presented me with a sweet slice of gulten-free chocolate cake with a wee candle on the top. (I made a wish, but I’m not tellin’!)

Jaime, if that’s a 2006 Vintage Brut Cuvée out of a Christian Louboutin shoe, I’m in business!

5. love2eatinpa says:

happy birthday!!
    i think it’s great that you chose ice cream as it reminded you of your youth. but what might be even cooler is the fact that you had some, realized it wasn’t quite as great as it was built up, and that it wasn’t worth it. sorry for the tummy ache though 🙁
    as you said, here’s to a little planning for next year!

6. Cindy says:

I think what’s even more interesting, is that it only takes a couple days of sugary sweet indulgences for your body to adjust. Almost over night your internal cues can go from ‘yuck, that’s too much’ to ‘yum, must have more!’

A slippery slope if you’re not careful and I’ve slid down it more than once.