Variety, It’s Good Stuff

By Robyn Priebe on 02/17/2010
0 Flares Facebook 0 Twitter 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 LinkedIn 0 Email 0 0 Flares ×

If you can, think back over the past week and try to list all the different grains you ate.  I’ll wait………

What did you come up with?  Could you count them all on one hand?  Would it be the same for other food groups like fruits & vegetables?  Granted variety in our food choices is affected by the seasons (somewhat), but I doubt if I asked you to recall all the grains you ate over the last year, you’d be able to do it.  Or, perhaps some people could since the number may still be very small.

I’ve been thinking a lot about picky eaters lately and the link between a monotonous “diet” and health problems.  It’s something I see frequently; the pickiest eaters are the people who are often more likely to struggle with health problems, food sensitivities, or difficulty with weight loss.  That’s not to say that this applies to every picky eater out there, however from my observations I often expect people to have health problems when I hear them say, “the only vegetables I like are corn and French fries potatoes.”

Loving a wide variety of foods may require practice.  Try a weekly challenge and buy a food you’ve never had before or haven’t had since you were 7 (brussel sprouts.)  Determine how you are going to prepare that food before you buy it and for goodness sake, use a recipe…..don’t try to make it up as you go, unless you are a fantastic cook.  If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again; however use a different recipe/method of preparation.  The more you try new foods, the more your palate will change.

What new foods have you tried lately?

• Chef Lisa says:

Recently we ordered some black garlic from a produce purveyor. It’s smoked for 30 days, and the cloves literally become black within the skins. They also become delightfully soft and easy to mash, and their flavor is so sultry and reminiscent of tamari.

Robyn, remember the time Jon brought in those little candied crabs to work? I love to eat things on a dare, and Asian delicacies are among my favorites, but boy oh boy those were odd.

• DaniJo says:

On my 1st trip to GMFR I figured out I needed to “like” more foods or I was sunk!! I made a list of things I wanted to try to integrate into my diet and I would put a serving or two in my food plan for the week. It took years (years!!) for many to become “default” foods and even now if I’m not thinking about it my food gets monotonous…and corn and potatoes are STILL my favorite foods, but now I can’t imagine an week without cucumbers or yogurt or bananas and many MANY other yummy items.

• Robyn says:

DaniJo, that makes me so happy to hear that. Great work!
    Lisa, yes I remember those candied crabs. You were very brave to eat them. I also remember he threw a good portion of them in the trash because he was “over them” pretty quickly.

• Sagan says:

I love trying new foods. I used to be SUCH a picky eater, but within the past few years especially I’ve really branched out. Now, I’m willing to try just about anything!

And I’m not sure that I can count the different kinds of grains I ate in the last week on BOTH hands :D
    .-= Sagan’s last blog post..The Living Healthy in the Real World Guide to Grocery Shopping, Part Two: Building the Basics =-.

• Shannon says:

I’ve been working on this with my family for the past few months. More grains. Different beans and lentils. Cold weather has made it easier to present so many different stews and soups with beans.

• Dr. LaKeidra says:

I am some what of a picky eater…I definitely try to eat healthy but sometimes it just seems like I run out of options! I really need to broaden my horizons! I did try brussels sprouts a few weeks ago! Not bad!
    .-= Dr. LaKeidra’s last blog post..Plavix: The Ugly Truth You Need to Know =-.