Tom Turkey – It’s a Thin Line Between Love And Hate

0 Flares Facebook 0 Twitter 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 LinkedIn 0 Email 0 0 Flares ×

Cindy is out ill so I’m putting up her post for her today.  Get well soon!
thanksgiving-turkey It’s been a love-hate relationship between me and Tom for some time now. Some years Tom beckons to me with a silent gesture. Under all his gorgeous plumage, the promise of a plump juicy thigh or a nibble of his neck. Then the next year, if he shows up at all, he barely speaks to me. And as quickly as he came, he leaves me in a wake of dirty dishes, saddled with leftovers and no one to take out the trash.

The truth is, making Thanksgiving dinner is just not the charge it used to be — unless somebody else is making it. To be honest, I just see a lot of last minute shopping, prep work, an inevitable pile of dishes and a lot of food that I don’t want hangin’ around my house.

Add to that the setting up of expectations that are difficult to live up to and telling yourself that this is the beginning of the weight gain season. Neither thing has to be true. This could be your first Thanksgiving where you come to the table with a new attitude, and a commitment to enjoy yourself, no matter what the day brings. It is just another 24 hours, after all.

If you’re alone this year (or want to be), you may want to consider joining us at Green Mountain for our yearly Holiday Helpings special holiday sessions.  Here are just some of the highlights:

So, what’s your relationship with Tom these days? I hear he gets around.

• [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by GreenMtnFoxRun, Merry Mary. Merry Mary said: Thanksgiving is coming SOON! Tom the Turky is showing up… how to deal: http://bit.ly/3y8Tnw (via @GreenMtnFoxRun) [...]

• Julie Trevor says:

Preparing any meal can be a lot of work especially when it takes teenagers only a few minutes to consume what can be hours of cooking labor.
    My reward though is in the minutes we spend together at the table as a family discussing anything from politics to what we’re going to do the next day.
    My stay at Green Mountain gave me the tools to look deep inside and see the woman who can make healthy eating choices or not, who can build her strength, endurance and confidence or not; and most important that if I choose not to be healthy for an hour, a meal or a day – it’s not the end of the world because I can choose to do better in the next minute, hour or day. Once a “bad” choice has been made I can move on and not feel guilty; just happy I was able to move on and not be dragged down by negative self-talk.

• Julie Trevor says:

Oh, and I forgot to add…I am sooooo happy banana’s are back “in”.

• Betsy says:

Thanks for the tips. Even though I feel like they are no-brainers, I still need them because come Thanksgiving I feel like it’s a free ticket to eat whatever and as much as I want. Not a good idea. This year I plan on partaking in one of the Turkey Trot races in the area. I’ll watch my plate, but at least I won’t feel guilty having a slice of pumpkin pie after running 5 miles! :)
    .-= Betsy’s last blog post..Gluten Free November Events – Better Late Than Never =-.

• Sagan says:

Thanks for marking the highlights for us!

So often we forget the real POINT of the holidays. The key is to NOT focus on the food. And to remember why we have the holidays at all.
    .-= Sagan’s last blog post..Book Review: “Women’s Home Workout Bible” by Brad Schoenfeld =-.

Cindy is still ill so I’ll respond to your comments for her.

Julie — Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. We love to hear how attitudes change as a result of our program.

Betsy — Hope you can give up the guilt, not only on Thanksgiving but every day. It doesn’t help and it can hurt a lot. Our tip: Eat mindfully and enjoy!

Sagan — You are so right. Food has overtaken the holidays, but I wonder why. Is it because it’s a time many of us give ourselves permission to eat what we want, after a year of restricting out of weight worries? If we could give ourselves permission to eat what we want all year, we might find we don’t overindulge when special times come around because we’re happy and satisfied. And of course, we can eat what we want in a way that makes us feel great in the moment and over the long term.

• Cindy says:

thanks for all your comments. i was also pondering the ‘why we eat more’ over the holidays’ question, Sagan. I guess simply because I the food is for the most part delicious, so we enjoy eating it. we simply don’t have a reason to prepare all those goodies the rest of the year so, of course, we indulge.

on the flipside, i think we get invested in recapturing memories of a time when we felt loved, comforted and more spiritually nourished. i think these ‘special meals’ remind us of good feelings we want to hold on to. i try to remain mindful that a big holiday meal is not about substituting food for love, and that the two can be separated. let’s face it, it’s always better to tell someone you love them, rather than serve them a piece of pie.

of course, you could do both!