How to Say I Love My Body and Mean It

By Marsha Hudnall on 06/03/2009

Nuturing our bodies and self care | How to say I love my body and mean itIn some of the circles I travel, it’s highly controversial whether we’re in the midst of an obesity epidemic as is frequently stated by the media and other sources.

I think there are few questions, however, about an epidemic of body hatred.  And that it may well be a major contributor to the eating and weight struggles many of us experience.

What’s clear from our work at Green Mountain is that our ability to consistently take care of ourselves — which is what’s required to achieve and maintain a healthy weight — depends on being moved to nurture our bodies.  Because how we feel about our bodies has a major impact on our drive to exercise regularly, eat well and fully participate in life.  That last bit is important because it gives us purpose, energy, makes us feel alive, helps us stay balanced.

Someone tweeted the other day asking what my #1 wellness mantra is.  I thought about it and answered, “I love my body.”  When I say those words, I feel a sense of calm.  I think of my body more gently.  I treat it better.

My body is far from perfect (whatever that is). But my attitude towards it makes all the difference in how I take care of myself.

Is it easy or hard for you to say “I love my body” and mean it?  Does anyone else feel a sense of calm after they say those words?  If not, how does saying it make you feel?

• Mary says:

It is easy. I accepted a while ago that my body wasn’t going to be certain things. I accepted that I would never be taller, never be a model, never look a certain way. And after doing that I started realizing how cool my own body was. It’s got flaws, sure, but it is mine. I might be trying to make it smaller, but I still love it now. It’s the only one I will ever have and it is beautiful in its own way. I really do love my body, and it is easy for me to say now even if it took me a long time to get to that point.

• Miz says:

It is easy. The hard part is g etting here.
    The hard part is finally clawing your way to the moment when you can truly 100% love your body for what it does for you and HONESTLY see the beauty in that.

The best part is when you look at what you once thought were flaws and realize thats what you love the best.

Miz’s last blog post..Viewer Mail: Oils 101.

• Renata says:

Great post. I really think that is the core of any healthy lifestyle — being moved to nurture your body.

Renata’s last blog post..Is it easy or hard for you to say “I love my body” and mean it?

• Sagan says:

This is brilliant. When we love and appreciate ourselves, we can do so much more.

Sagan’s last blog post..The Run-A-Race-This-Summer Challenge

• For me, it is hard to say “I love my body” and mean it!

I hardly ate as a kid, gained a little bit of weight in college, but managed to get real skinny about 10 years ago. Since then, I managed to gain enough weight to put me in the “obese” category, and I was mortified!

Sometimes I wish I hadn’t ever been real skinny, so I wouldn’t have anything to constantly compare myself to. I think I blame myself for “letting myself go” as I should have known better because my mother has and still does struggle with her weight.

Thanks for this post because I am really trying to work on loving my body! I am definitely the same person on the inside!

Diva on a Diet’s last blog post..June is all about Turkey, Dairy, and Fresh Fruits and Vegetables! Recipes to Celebrate!

• Angie says:

Great post, Marsha!

At 34 years old, I can say that “I love my body” and mean it! Now, don’t get me wrong, there are still days when I’m not fully happy with my body…especially with swimsuit weather upon us….but most of the time, I can appreciate my curves and my muscles. I’m much happier with my body now compared to in my teens and twenties….and maybe some of that comes with age, and some of it comes with truly learning to take care of myself physically, mentally, and spiritually.

Thank you again for a great, thought-provoking post!

Angie’s last blog post..Cereal Love Continues

• We’ve all struggled with “body love.” I remember during my teen years thinking I was fat and I certainly wasn’t at 116 pounds and 5 foot 7 inches. I think that’s what motivated me to study nutrition and learn the truth about diet and fitness and wellness. But, when it really struck me how powerful the pressure can be to not only be thin but feel thin is when my daughter Katie fell into the pre-teen “I hate my fat body” trap. We pulled through and now she is a physically active, strong, beautiful 17 year old who prioritizes eating healthy foods instead of dieting. What I am the most proud of is that now she talks about nutrition in terms of what she’s adding to her diet- not avoiding. The other day she called me after school and asked, “You know what I’m drinking? I’m drinking non fat milk!” Nurturing our daughters by nurturing ourselves with good eating and exercise habits is a great gift to them.

Carolyn O’Neil’s last blog post..Limit Accessories This Summer

• It took me a long time to discover that by simply changing what I said and believed about myself could actually impact how I treated my body and how my body would react to what I was doing. I remember the first time I looked in the mirror and decided I hated my thighs. Looking back now, I wonder who told me, or where in the world I got the idea that my thighs were “fat” or “ugly”. I have made it my life mission to help women love what they see in the mirror. For me, it is standing firm around the daily ritual of believing what I CHOOSE to believe about who and what I am (no matter what my mind might think it wants to see) until what I believe starts to shine through in my body. I start choosing different clothes, picking better foods, getting more out of my exercise, and in the end, I LOVE what I see in the mirror. Not because it is perfect, but because I have loved it well.

• Kerry says:

Loving my body is still a work in progress. I like this blog because I have to admit, I haven’t given it much thought. I’ve been focused on sending positive energy out to others and now believe it’s time I put myself on the receiving end of some of that energy.

Wonderful comments, everyone! Many of the women who come to Green Mountain really struggle with the concept of body love, so it is exciting to hear there are many of us who are doing so well at it!

And Carolyn, I hear you! I’ve got a 20-year-old daughter, and for all my efforts at helping her stay balanced about this subject, it’s been hard for her just because of all the noise out there that works against us being happy with our bodies. Your last statement about nurturing our daughters by nurturing ourselves makes me think again of Dara Chadwick’s new book “you’d be so pretty if….” It’s a fabulous book for moms who want to help their daughters, and as I said before, for us if we can imagine ourselves as our own children. A stretch for some maybe, but it works for me.

• [...] the original here How to Say “I Love My Body” & Mean It Related Topics : country, energy-medicine, friends, health clinic, healthy-weight, [...]

• [...] celebrities’ weight battles make you feel?  For some of us, it makes it hard to say “I love my body” and mean it.  Thanks, The-F-Word.org for tweeting this article.  And congrats on acing [...]

• Anna-Tiez says:

Damn, that sound’s so easy if you think about it.