Fitness and Health: Beat the Boredom!

0 Flares Facebook 0 Twitter 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 LinkedIn 0 Email 0 0 Flares ×

HeartWith the snow and ice outside, my cardio routines have been getting a bit boring…for both mind and body. When my options are limited, I tend to slip into the mentality of “putting in my time” in terms of getting a workout every day…and that certainly eliminates chances of a more intense workout happening. But there are some simple ways to easily increase the intensity of a cardio workout that don’t require sprinting and still achieve your healthy lifestyle goals. Try these ideas to amp up your daily fitness and health routine! The intervals created by throwing in these little bursts of a slightly higher intensity will do wonders for your workout!

Raise your hands above your head for intermittent bursts of time during a walk, aerobics class, or while your dancing around your living room!

Increase either speed or incline during a walk. Choosing a walking path that includes hills provides natural intervals. No hills? Try increasing speed for a few minutes, then returning to a moderate speed for a few minutes.

Try something new! A different mode of exercise challenges the body in new ways. Try enrolling in a kickboxing class, learning to play a sport, or get in the pool.

The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends that moderate intensity exercise should show up in our schedule most days of the week. The duration of exercise recommended by ACSM includes 20 to 60 minutes of continuous or intermittent bouts of aerobic activity accumulated throughout the day. However, something is always better than nothing. Using these suggestions can help make healthy lifestyle management a way of life!

• Reebok-Step says:

That was a great article. You are so right about changing activities. I for one constantly need to keep changing my activities especially according to the time I get from work. If you have an activity or workout planned around your lifestyle, its always more stable than having your life style worked around your workouts! Which eventually bores or tires you and becomes impossible.

Ive recently taken up some fun dance lessons!

• ex-vermonter says:

Changing activities defnitely fights boredom! For instance, I never thought I would like Zumba, and now I use it as my change-up activity.

• Meredith says:

Dancing and Zumba are two of my favorite “fighting the boredom” activities! Having a sweet little arsenal of fun workouts locked away for rainy or snowy days is the perfect answer to avoiding letting physical activity suffer. Thanks for stopping by!

• Meredith says:

Thanks for the invite, Christy! I’d love to visit your blog. I’ll get back to you after I check it out. Thanks for stopping by!

• ken says:

The best part of this article is at the bottom of changing up your routine every so often. Only when you do this will your body be forced to continuosly adapt and change which will maximize your gains.

• Anne Lee says:

Hi, These are great suggestions of adding a little extra to the cardio workout or just everyday living. I definitely believe that changing the incline or speed of my normal 20-minute jogging routine for a few minutes would help me. However, a slight problem is that even though I often try to keep that in mind, my ever powerful subconscious mind overrules because it takes just a little bit more effort. I used to do country line-dancing almost 7 nights a week and didn’t realize that it was a no-brainer exercise until I stopped doing that. That place closed and anywhere else was too far. So, I thought I’d try jogging, and doing just 20 minutes a day for the last 5 years has been great. Good thing I don’t mind the boredom too much. Thanks.