Be afraid…Be very afraid?
Are you spooked by all the candy corn, marshmellow ghosts, licorice black cats and other Halloween treats that are everywhere you look this time of year? Are you haunted at work by coworkers who bring in bags to share? Are you apprehensive in stores, banks and even doctor’s offices because you know you’ll see little bowls of goodies just waiting for another victim? Eeeeeeek – what’s a healthy eating person to do?
Answer: Indulge a little!
- Eat treats when you really want them. Not just because they’re there.
- Give yourself permission. No sneaking!
- Sit down. Be mindful. Savor the experience.
- Taste what you’re eating. If you’re not crazy about fruitcake, leave it be, eat something that really rocks your boat.
- Put closure on your eating. Treats are just that – a treat – not a substitute for lunch!
- Make it count. Indulge in special holiday treats only in conjunction with a healthy diet. Don’t skip or skimp on meals because you had a piece of fudge!
- Rejoice in the season.
So make a conscious decision to enjoy a Halloween treat once in a while, you’ll lose the fear and feel empowered!