The heat wave in the East broke last night to an awful lightning storm, but compared to the weather troubles in the mid-section of this country, we have no complaints. It’s a beautiful breezy morning here in Vermont — the type that we’re renowned for. Will be a beautiful day and I intend to get out in it.
Still, I’m under no illusions that I won’t be facing a few more hot, muggy days this summer. We do get a couple of weeks a summer of them here in Vermont…again, nothing compared to the rest of the country. And I’m off to Florida for a family wedding tomorrow, and I’m thanking the heavens there is such a thing as air conditioning.
For those who aren’t as lucky as us folks at our women’s healthy weight loss center Green Mountain at Fox Run with our Vermont summers, here are a few tips for keeping your healthy living routine in hot, inclement weather . They’re taken from a former fitness specialist at Green Mountain — Sarah of Outside In Fitness in the Washington, DC area. Sarah recommends:
- Wear light-colored loose-fitting clothes made of high-tech breathable fabrics.
– Wear sunscreen.
– Stay out of the sun between noon and 4 pm.
– Stay on shady paths when walking, running, biking or whatever.
– Stay hydrated — that means plenty of fluid.
– Watch for signs of heat-related illness — dizziness, nausea, headache, muscle cramps, and get help immediately.
Stay active this summer but stay cool! Here are some other tips for summertime fitness from Green Mountain.