Weight Loss: Results Not Typical

By Laura Brooks

While watching TV last night, I was bombarded with the usual weight loss programs and weight loss product ads.  In each different commercial, during the parade of before and after photos, a common theme emerges: the disclaimer of ‘results not typical.’

Three Little Words

There’s a big message in those three little words, which are barely readable in its tiny print at the bottom of the screen:  odds are you won’t lose weight! So how did those lucky few significantly reduced people do it?  Well, there’s another hint in the fine print: "product should be used in conjunction with exercise and a healthy diet."

There’s No Getting Around It: Exercise and Healthy Eating

In a thought-provoking blog post from "Things I Learned the Hard Way," Sandra Dalka-Prysby writes:

When I embarked on my weight loss journey…I expected to lose all the weight in a year. No problem. After all, “real people” lost this amount of weight in this short period of time, according to the ads. I’m a “real” person. This would be fast and easy. Then I learned that this real person—me—was somehow different from all of those touting their success via their advertised stories. My weight loss was neither fast nor easy! It took hard work and consistent effort.

When I finally got smart and realized that the only “right way” to reduce weight is healthy eating and regular exercise (and you know this too!), I no longer needed those costly diet things. And when I realized that I didn’t need to go fast or wear a size 2, I stopped comparing my success to all those “untypical real people.”

Lessons Learned

All of us have either experienced failed fad diets, tried less than wonderful ‘wonder’ pills, or gimmicky exercise products. Yes, it may be a hard – and costly – lesson to learn, but the good news is that you’re not at fault for not losing the weight.  Losing your faith in a weight loss product doesn’t mean you have to lose all hope or faith in your ability to lose weight.  What it truly means is that you now have the opportunity to start empowering yourself for a real, lasting healthy lifestyle change.

Believe in yourself!

• Jaymiz says:

Thanks for this post.

I came to this same realization (that all of those ads said that the people lost weight not JUST with the product, but with a combination of a changed diet, and exercise) a while ago, and it’s FREED me to not be drawn by those ads any more. :)

• laura says:

Hi Jaymiz,

That’s a great way of putting it – “FREED.” Yes, it is definately freeing to not be drawn into the next diet fad. I’m glad you’ve been able to move past the diet hype. Good luck to you!

• Tony says:

Another thing that people leave out of the equation is to detox your body. We have a friend who has lost over 80 pounds by doing this and she could not exercise because she had neuropathy in her feet, much of which has also gone away.

Great blog by the way. I found it while doing some research this evening.

• sandy winz says:

Hi! I have orderd from this place a number of times and am very pleased to share. They have great kosher organic and natural food products.
    Here is a link http://www.wholeandnatural.com
    Enjoy!!!
    p.s. I used a code try if it works for you bldc08

• Reader says:

I think most people are realizing extreme diets are unrealistic to keep off weight long term. Eating healthier should be a gradual process.That’s why I’m signing up for the iVillage community challenge. It’s called Small Diet Change, Big Differences and it’s about all the little steps you can take each day to lose weight slowly. Here’s the sign up page. http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/diet-fitness/small-diet-changes-big-differences-sign-up.open.html

• Anna says:

Losing weight is tough and you need to be determined to lose it. This is such a good site for learning about weight loss tactics. Good luck to anyone who wants to lose weight. There is always hope and a solution out there for you.

• Anne says:

I feel the same way. Why are diets being created if the results aren’t typical. I don’t think a lot of people notice the disclaimer on the worlds most popular diets. I am going to write a blog about this too. Check it out at http://www.northwestinfluence.com

• Thank you for this very informative article. Loosing weight don’t just happen overnight. It takes a lot of patience, discipline and sacrifice.

• interesting productz in the market are launched with cheaper rates and also without any side effects.