Last week’s healthy recipe featured apples in a colorful beet salad, perfect for fall. For another autumnal apple dish, try this healthy eating main course from the Virginia State Apple Board. Antioxidants, phytonutrients, flavonoids and fiber make apples a strong ally against ailments such as cancer and cardiovascular disease. It’s also a golden opportunity to combine this delicious variety with your favorite white fish!
- Makes 4 servings
- 1 cup grated, peeled golden delicious apple
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup minced green onion
- 1/8 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 4 sole, cod or other white fish
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger fillets (4 to 5 ounces each)
- 1/4 tsp. ground mustard
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- Heat oven to 400; lightly oil small roasting pan. In medium-size bowl, combine apple, carrot, green onion, lemon juice, ginger, mustard, salt, pepper and thyme; mix well.
- Spread apple mixture evenly over length of fillets; carefully roll up.
- Place stuffed fillets, seam side down, in oiled pan.
- Pour broth over rolled fillets; cover with aluminum foil and bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until fish is opaque and barely flakes.
Microwave version: Prepare apple stuffing mixture and roll up fillets as above. Place stuffed fillets, seam side down, in oiled microwave-safe dish. Pour broth over rolled fillets; cover with waxed paper and microwave on HIGH 5 minutes or until fish is opaque and barely flakes. (If microwave does not have carousel, rotate dish halfway through cooking.)
For more healthy eating recipes, check out the other delicious recipes listed on this blog or visit Green Mountain Healthy Living Recipe Favorites.