Last week’s healthy recipe featured apples in a colorful beet salad, perfect for fall. For another autumnal apple dish, try this healthy eating main course from the Virginia State Apple Board. Antioxidants, phytonutrients, flavonoids and fiber make apples a strong ally against ailments such as cancer and cardiovascular disease. It’s also a golden opportunity to combine this delicious variety with your favorite white fish!
- Makes 4 servings
- 1 cup grated, peeled golden delicious apple
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup minced green onion
- 1/8 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 4 sole, cod or other white fish
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger fillets (4 to 5 ounces each)
- 1/4 tsp. ground mustard
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- Heat oven to 400; lightly oil small roasting pan. In medium-size bowl, combine apple, carrot, green onion, lemon juice, ginger, mustard, salt, pepper and thyme; mix well.
- Spread apple mixture evenly over length of fillets; carefully roll up.
- Place stuffed fillets, seam side down, in oiled pan.
- Pour broth over rolled fillets; cover with aluminum foil and bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until fish is opaque and barely flakes.
Microwave version: Prepare apple stuffing mixture and roll up fillets as above. Place stuffed fillets, seam side down, in oiled microwave-safe dish. Pour broth over rolled fillets; cover with waxed paper and microwave on HIGH 5 minutes or until fish is opaque and barely flakes. (If microwave does not have carousel, rotate dish halfway through cooking.)