We’ve all been told at one time or another, the best way to get rid of a hang over is to imbibe in a little hair of the dog that bit ‘cha. Somehow, it just doesn’t seem the most prudent solution to an age old problem. After searching through a plethora of “get rid of” advice on the internet, I came up with what seemed to me to be the most reasonable suggestions. (Nope, this isn’t scientific).
• Re-hydrate your body. Start drinking water the minute your feet hit the floor.
• Drink a cup of coffee or two as soon as possible. Coffee contains caffeine which is a very strong vasoconstrictor which will narrow the swollen blood vessels in your head and might help with a headache. However, coffee is a diuretic, so you should drink even more water to replenish if you drink coffee.
• Make a nice, hot bowl of chicken soup, as soon as you have overcome any queasiness. Chicken soup will help replace salt and potassium, the body loses salt and potassium when you have been drinking.
• Check the label before you take a pain reliever to reduce any hangover-induced aches. Some pain relievers, including acetaminophen, aspirin and naproxen sodium, should not be used when alcohol is still in your system.
• Your next instinct will be to stay in bed. Instead, take a brisk walk around your street. The fresh air and activity might do you good. However, getting rid of a hangover requires some rest, so take it easy the rest of the day.
And a few tips…for next time:
• Drink lots of water and eat some bread or crackers before going to sleep if you expect to have a hangover in the morning. Drink 2 glasses of water between each drink (I know…but it helps keep you hydrated!).
• Practice moderation. It’s not healthy to drink to the point of dehydrating your body. Take a couple aspirin before you hit the hay.
HAAAPPY NEW YEAR!! (Sh-h-h, not so loud)